Hiking in Vierzon with the Île Marie walk
For hiking enthusiasts, discover the Île Marie walk in Vierzon during your stay at Hôtel Continental***.
Rich in its prestigious industrial past, the city of Vierzon has nearly 8000 hectares of forest located at the confluence of the Cher and Yèvre rivers, with the Canal du Berry crossing the city centre.
During this walk, discover places preserved and steeped in history.
The 11.5km walk starts at the parking lot on the Place de l'Hôtel de Ville. It takes about 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Back to the town hall, turn left and go down to reach Place Fernand Micoureau. Walk past the footbridge over the Yévre river and follow the quays of the Cher. Go under the road bridge to Victor Schoelcher Drive.
- Then follow the Cher river to the Jean Monet bridge and cross the Europe bridge. Go down the stairs on the right and take the road for 300m then go up to the dike. Follow the path along the Cher river and before the bridge, continue the path on the left up to reach the road.
- Turn to the right and cross the bridge over the Cher up to the STOP. Turn left under the highway and continue this road which becomes a track (GR41). And reach the farm of the Great Véves.
- Turn right in front of the farm. Follow this path for 1.3km. At the fork, take the right path for 800m to reach the paved road, follow it to the right, and after 100m turn left to the lock.
- Follow the canal up to the bridge of the Chemin de St Prie. Cross the canal and turn right into rue de la Croix Moreau. At the next crossroads, follow the canal on the left up to the George Poitreneaux wooden footbridge.
- Cross the canal and take opposite the small rue du Chambon, then turn right for 100m and at the next crossroads, turn left (rue A. Hache). Turn right at the top of this street and pass in front of the old establishment of the French society (Palais des congrès, cinema LUMIERE).
- At the roundabout, take opposite Avenue de la République, go down and at the second traffic lights, turn left onto the street (semi-pedestrian). Walk past the tourist office and turn right into the pedestrian street Maréchal Joffre, continue opposite the street of the castle (view on the belfry), right before the belfry, go down to the church. Take the stairs to rue A. Brunet and join the town hall, the starting and finishing point.
Find all the information about the Cher hikes on :